women's shoe habits in the U.S. (how do you compare?)

I should start out by saying how happy it made me that someone actually took the time, money and effort to conduct this survey. :-)

shopsmart magazine, published by consumer reports, asked 1,009 women in the united states ages 18 and older a variety of questions about their shoe habits. fascinating, let me tell you!

some highlights (and my answers to the questions):

1. about 60 percent of women say they'll put up with painful shoes as long as they think they look good in them. (guilty as charged!)

2. those surveyed said they own an average of 17 pairs of shoes but wear only three pairs on a regular basis. (I'm not sure how many pairs I own, but my steady rotation is definitely higher than three.)

3. they buy three pairs a year and, on average, spend $49 a pair. about 31 percent said they've spend more than $100 on a single pair. (okay, um, I buy way more than three pairs a year, and probably spend more than $49 a pair. I've spent more than $100 on a single pair, but not by a whole lot.)

4. more than 39 percent consider themselves a "shoe person." (I think it's fair to say that I do.)

5. about 86 percent said they're honest with their spouses/significant others when it comes to shoe purchases. the remaining 14 percent admit hiding at least one purchase. (as for me? no comment. :-)

so, how do you compare? will you tolerate painful shoes? do you consider yourself a "shoe person"? are you honest about what you buy?

read the entire survey here.

Post a Comment

I love your comments!