tacky or not tuesday: betsey johnson dita corset heel



sooooo, I'm posting this shoe not because I think it's tacky in and of itself – actually, I really like it! the "corset" up the back of the heel is cute. but (forgive me here), isn't this a tad reminiscent of, oh, I don't know...louboutin? with the red underside and all? just makes me wonder, did the designer create this shoe totally independent of "inspiration"? or is it a rip-off, a poor man's (like me!) louboutin? 

I'm going to leave this week's tacky or not as an open-ended question posed to you, dear readers. do you think it's tacky to so closely resemble another's creation? or is all fair in shoe design? 

the corset shoes are $149.95 at betsey johnson.

La Petite Provocateur (February 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM)  

The shoes are deifnitely cute! To me, though, it is most interesting that you brought up the issue of the color of the sole of the shoe being red, which might be looked at as a knock-off Louboutin. I was reading a book last night ("How To Be Adored") that had a section on the start of Louboutins being red on the underside (fascinating story, really!) and how it is the instant sign of a Louboutin. And, I started to wonder.... Red is my favorite color. If I somehow designed shoes, I would absolutley want to put red everywhere, including the sole of the shoe. Would that make it a knock-off? A sly "wink" or nod to the original? I mean, there are only so many "signatures" you can have when you are working on as small an item as a shoe....

laurel (March 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM)  

if you go to Zappos you would see the underside is pink with red roses and would never be mistaken for a louboutin, betsey has had pink soles for a few years now. she has also done hearts, holographic pink and marilyn's face on the bottom of her shoes.

Post a Comment

I love your comments!