OTK? C U L8R!

okay, so I know the over-the-knee boot (or "OTK" boot...I don't like acronyms) has been around for awhile now, but lately I've been seeing them EVERYWHERE. and they annoy me!

it's a case of "too much of a good thing is a really bad thing" – ankle booties? adorable. mid-calf boots? super cute. knee boots? sexy!

but over-the-knee (or "OTK boots")? I just don't get it! they overwhelm the pants you're wearing beneath them, and they make your legs look short – even if you have long legs.

plus, I don't understand the flap/gap that appears at the top of nearly every over-the-knee boot. I mean, I get that it's there because people's thighs are wider than their knees, so you have to allow some room at the top. but sometimes it ends up looking like a weird flap of loose material...that shouldn't be there!

basically, it's too much: too much material, too high, too unfamiliar (unfamiliar can be good...can be). on top of that, then you go and add buttons, tassels and contrast side stitching, like the naya by narubi:


and forget it!

(actually, I feel bad dissing this boot because it's made with eco-friendly materials. and to be fair, you can fold over the top part to transform it into a knee-high boot.)

even so, in the interest of equal love for all shoes, here's an example of an over-the-knee boot that I think is done well, the model by charles by charles david:


it works because they're simple – no ruffles, buckles, laces, really no detail at all. with any over-the-knee boot, the statement is the height of the boot – additional bells and whistles only serve as distraction.

I also like that the model boots are made of microfiber that stretches for a snug fit (hence no gap at the top). they're sleek and elegant, and the platform helps that super-high heel not seem so sky high!

or perhaps these thigh-high satin boots by stella mccartney...for $1,045! I love the deep grey color (reminds me of the ocean on a cloudy day), and of course, that they're satin.


oh, OTK boots. do you plan to return next fall? let me know.

Post a Comment

I love your comments!